Tuesday, February 28, 2012

10 truths about me

In the Beyond Layers class, Kim encouraged us to share 10 truths about ourselves.  I wrote 14 and then narrowed it to 10.  What does that say about me?  I don't follow directions?  I don't know when to quit?  We were also encouraged to post a fun photo to 'go with' the truths.  I chose this photo from Big Mac.  It matches up with truth #1 except for the fact that there is no ocean sound.  But there is sand and water.

Winter at Big Mac

  • I LOVE the sound of the ocean and sand under my feet. How did that happen to a land locked middle of the country person? 
  • I have been married for 40 years to a man called the 'Ranger' after a whirlwind courtship of 7 months - who knew it could be this good? Oh, except for making lunch - why do I have to be responsible for lunch? 
  • No one told me that parenting is the single hardest and most gratifying thing a person could ever do. And they also didn't tell me it just never ends. No matter how old, how settled, how responsible my girls are, I have a worry button that doesn't turn completely off. 
  • Being a grandmother is the greatest gift and grandsons are the best. They make me smile and bring me joy!
  • My camera is my friend and I rarely skip a day without taking a photo (the camera phone helps here), although it does happen on occasion. I struggle with setting up a photo-shoot of still life, that is way out of my comfort zone. I much prefer just taking photos of what is available and working it out that way. 
  • I am such a procrastinator. I can be sucked into the 'internetz' in a heartbeat and spend hours before I even know what happened. It doesn't matter if it is photos, crafts, digital scrapbooking, sewing, or random interesting oddities. 
  • I have a group of friends I have consistently met with at least once (and usually more) a month for the past 32 years. It is a diverse group, but they make me think, encourage me to try new things, push me to make decisions, and love me like family. Their biggest influence was supporting my return to college, where I finished not one, but two degrees and ended up with a fulfilling teaching career. 
  • I am a feminist. I worry about people who don't have enough food or shelter. I know I don't do enough to help my fellow beings. 
  • I like wine, really good wine and just good wine and even marginal wine. I have learned that wine doesn't have to be expensive to be good. My absolute favorite is sangiovesse from Italy, but a nice cabernet sauvignon comes a close second. While I will choose an Italian wine whenever possible, wines by Vincent Arroyo winery in California are splendid. 
  • Reading is an addiction. I can read a novel in a day, even if that means staying up til the wee hours to finish.

6 comments:

  1. Great list and photo. How lovely to have such a supportive group of friends and I'm right there with you on the reading and the Sangiovese';)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on #1 .... great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I think I've found my kindred spirit :). I went back to school at an "older" age for teaching too. Did it for awhile...but now I"m out of it. And WINE! Italian all the way baby! Altho I do love a trip here and there out to Napa/Sonoma (WHY do I live in a state like Pennsylvania?!?!? One of life's great mysteries!). But Italian wines are the best! Their "Casa Rosa" is cheap and "da bomb!".

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah yes, wine is good. loved reading your truths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful photo to go with your truths! :) Thanks for sharing.
    Yay for Italian wines :) and I am a procrastinator too. I love the sound of the ocean and I sure with I lived nearer to it. Maybe one day... happy Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful picture, this could have been written by me all of it, so fun,
    I have not written my ten truths yet, i will soon.
    wish you a great day

    ReplyDelete